Much Ado About Nothing

Monday, July 09, 2007

Political Differences

There is an old adage that says "If you give a man a fish, you feed for him a day, if you teach a man how to fish, you feed him for life." I believe this to be the elementary difference between Democrats and Republicans. Democrats like big government, and lots of services that keep voters dependent on them, and therefore the democratic party powerful. Republicans believe in smaller government, and lower taxes, to allow everyone to be prosperous.

Democrats like to "take from the rich to give to the poor". In theory that sounds great. We should all give to the poor, but willingly. Nobody should tax someone with more money and make them give it to the poor. You see, rich people are often business owners, and employers. By taxing them harder, everyone hurts. Many cities will give businesses tax breaks to open in their city. This is good! If a company is paying fewer taxes, it can employ more people. Our economy is a cycle. When a car manufacturer down sizes, it hurts the makers of nuts and bolts, and tires, and on and on. By being able to employ more people, their employees have money to spend in other ways, and the greater population is helped. When one family is out of work, they can't spend money in their usual ways, and other industries are affected.

Imagine when you were in school if a teacher came to a straight "A" student, and said they were taking from the "A" average to give to a failing student, so that both would have C's. How fair is that? Would the A student continue to study and work hard? Probably not. Their reward has been taken away. The same applies to taxing rich people. Why should we punish hard work, and perseverance? This is a country where all people can work hard and make something of themselves...if they want it badly enough. By lowering taxes, everyone has a little more money in their pockets. When they spend it, they are helping their fellow citizens.

Another example of this is the war in Iraq. I get so frustrated when people say "Bush lied, people died" Bush did NOT lie. He believed, as did many other Americans (including Democrats in Congress) that there were WMD's in Iraq. Just because we cannot find them, doesn't mean Bush lied, it means Saddam Hussein probably got rid of them. They certainly had enough warnings. This war has freed people from a brutal dictator, who needed to be removed from power. To disagree with that is not being intellectually honest. By continuing there, and fighting terrorism, we are promoting freedom and democracy. By doing that we continue the economic cycle. As Iraqis become more prosperous, the economy will flourish. They will be less dependent on us, and then and only then can our troops come home.

5 Comments:

  • I guess I see things a little differently than you do. Social programs for which we are all taxed benefit all of us -- for example, by paying for schools and educational programs, we reap the benefit of a better educated populace, which helps the rich businessmen who are being taxed by providing them with better employees, and helps you and me by making it easier for children to become doctors and care for us when we are sick, for example. Government programs supporting the arts expand children's intellectual capabilities, beautify our surroundings and encourage people to realize their artistic potentials. Social and welfare programs serve as a safety net in case tragedy occurs and we lose everything we've got, and they also serve to make sure that children can have enough to eat despite the irresponsibility of their parents. Sure, these programs are abused, but that doesn't mean that they should be done away with, it means that we need to figure out how to close the loopholes.

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 8:01 PM  

  • I will agree that some of these programs are necessary. FEMA (while mismangaged) for instance, helps people during a natural disasters. I don't mind being taxed for roads, libraries and hospitals. I think in most instances though, the private sector can do better than government with these things. Government was established, to govern, not to run businesses. If we are taxed less, we can better afford things such as music lessons for ourselves. We are taxed heavily for public schools, and children these days don't seem to be learning much except how to be greedy and materialistic,and to dress like Paris Hilton, and Britney Spears (Heaven help us all!) If we weren't taxed so heavily for a public school system,(which quite frankly, is not working) more people could afford private schools. Then we would have better educated people, and doctors and nurses of the future.

    By Blogger Ginger, at 9:49 PM  

  • I would argue that the problem of children becoming materialistic and modeling themselves after Paris Hilton and Britney Spears is because of the commercialization of our society and the attitudes of parents. Paris and Britney are glorified by our media because their consumerism inspires others to buy, buy, buy. Parents can't seem to say no to their children, probably because they've been conditioned from birth to buy, buy buy, too. Meanwhile, the schools have to try to educate these kids, and it is a difficult thing that even private schools wouldn't be able to solve. After all, private does not necessarily equal academically rigorous. Think of all those "academies" that churn out basketball players who eventually find their way to the pros. I seriously doubt that their academic standards are very high.

    As a high income earner, I would welcome higher taxes (even Sweden-level taxes!) if it meant quality (Sweden-level) schools, quality (Sweden-level) healthcare, and a more peaceful and overall happy society. I like the fact that I can easily afford a nice place to live, two nice cars, and lots of material possessions, but ultimately, those are just things. Most important to me is the health, safety, and happiness of my loved ones, something that cannot be measured by our tax bracket or how many extra gazingus pins we could have bought with the money that went to support the rest of society.

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 7:29 AM  

  • Republicans believe in a smaller government and lower taxes...........but can't deliever on either! I used to be a republican (Still am on most moral issues) until I lived through a few recessions. Fiscally the democrats make much more sense for most Americans! I don't like Clinton that much, but regardless of how talk radio personalities spin it we DID have a balanced budget and a smaller government back then! (don't hate me b/c we don't agree!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:12 PM  

  • I agree that Republicans aren't delivering on what they believe. These days I actually refer to myself as conservative, and neither party adds up to what I expect. Republican is the lesser of two evils. It's actually sad to have to vote that way. In 2000 I voted for Bush because I couldn't stand Al Gore, not because I thought Bush was the guy. In 2004 I believed in Bush's fight on terrorism and was proud to vote for him. These people are beyond evil. Now it seems everyone in Congress is trying to stab Bush in the back, and nothing productive is getting done.

    By Blogger Ginger, at 5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home