Much Ado About Nothing

Friday, March 02, 2007

I'm Running For President...
Well, not really. I wouldn't put myself or my family through the scrutiny and mudslinging involved in politics. Also, I am sad to say that my conservative religious beliefs wouldn't win. Apparently, Christianity is an undesireable quality in a leader. I do have one request for the people who win future elections. It has nothing to do with abortion, gay marriage, or even the war in Iraq. I would like to see a MAJOR reform in our nation's welfare policy.


This link shows some frightening statistics showing the increasing number of families on food stamps in each state. This program is costing millions of dollars for the states. As a cashier at a major retail chain, I see what people purchase with this free government money that you and I work hard to give them. I see people waste food stamp money on things like heart-shaped boxes of Valentine candy (or any other holiday candy), 20 oz bottles of soda, candy bars, frozen microwave meals (Lots of them!!) and really expensive steaks, shrimp, and other unnecessary luxury items. It really peeves me when they are using food stamp money for these items, but have cash for cigarettes, alcohol, or even DVDs. Often times they are wearing expensive name brand clothing. Where are their priorites? People need to learn the difference between necessity (having 3 good meals per day) and luxury (wasting money on high dollar name brand items,when the generic is just as good) A few simple staples such as produce, meat, bread, eggs, cereal, flour and milk, among a few others will make many decent meals for a lot less money. I see people buying the name brand milk rather than store brand. I personally cannot tell the difference. A 20 oz bottle of soda where I work now costs $1.28. A warm two liter bottle is the same amount., or even less. A nicely decorated sheet cake for your child's birthday is $15-20. A box of Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker is less than $2 and made with love! Why, when people come to sign up for food stamps are we not teaching them to manage money, and set some standards on what they can and cannot purchase?

(Disclaimer: I see nothing wrong in and of itself with the higher dollar items mentioned, if you can afford them.)

Another suggestion I have is rather than supporting people indefinitely, we should set a time limit. Why aren't we making college tuition, or trade schools, more affordable for everyone? With better educations, people might not be so dependent on the government, and that is what democracy is all about! I wouldn't be so angry about being taxed to support others when I know people are trying to get back on their feet. It's the lazy ones who make it a lifestyle, and teach future generations to be lazy as well that anger me. If I weren't afraid of getting fired, the next time I see a customer swipe an EBT card, I would like to say "You're welcome for the gift I am working hard to give you,... a total stranger.

2 Comments:

  • I'm totally with you on making education more affordable for all. Our education system used to be the envy of the world. In the 1800's, your average American was better educated than your average European. Our university system is still the best in the world but it's threatened (especially the state universities) by ever-decreasing government support.

    Ireland used to be a very poor country, but they had the foresight to never cut their education budget. Maybe there were a lot of potholes, but kids were getting educated. And it paid off, because today, Ireland is the hotbed of technology development in Europe, and very wealthy as a consequence.

    It's a shame that people abuse the welfare system like that... but I'm glad it's there as a safety net. I wonder why people do stuff like buy shrimp? Do they not understand the math, or do you think they're fraudulently receiving benefits?

    I'm going to have to disagree with you though about your faith being a liability to your presidential aspirations... all the viable candidates for 2008 profess to be Christians, at the very least. Whether or not they are Christians, the fact that they advertise themselves as such indicates that being considered Christian is an asset, not a liability. So put your hat in the ring, sister-in-law!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 8:49 AM  

  • I guess all this comes down to whether or not you believe all people have the same capabilites. After seeing the people my mom and dad worked with as social workers, I do not think we all start with the same capacity for doing things that are wise and sensible. Granted there are abuses, I would never say there were not!

    I think alot of this has to do with parenting. When you live in a horrible environment and your parents don't know enough themselves to teach you how to manage money, wake up and get to work on time, etc, then you aren't going to figure it out on your own.

    Recently I worked at my mom's office. She gets poor folks in afforable housing. I worked with "These" people. Trust me, they don't know, or have the ability to know any more about budgeting than I know, or have the ability to know how to do Rebecca's job!! I guess we all assume that everybody can do, at minimum, what we can do. Nobody would argue that Rebecca started out with some good DNA to make her soooo smart. She started with that and ran with it. Also, education was important ot her family.

    I use to think alot like you do. I also am a Christian. What gave me my wake up call was the fact that my mom, who isn't a Christian, has dedicated her life to helping these people become more self suffient. She does credit counseling, teaches them how to budget, gets them into affordable homeownership that develops a positive net worth, etc. All I did was complain, and I did so without the compassion and love that God has for these people. Sometimes it is scary to look in the mirror and discover that your reaction to somebody else's sin is just as bad as theirs.

    If you do run for office and win, Can Rhonda and I stay in the Lincoln room. If not, we'll just give a big donation to Hillary to secure that lodging!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home