Much Ado About Nothing

Monday, September 11, 2006

Never Forget
Today is the anniversary of a day most of us will not soon forget. I remember what I was doing that fateful day 5 years ago. I was attending Northern Illinois University. I went to class and the professor, being a native New Yorker, sent us home, saying he just wasn' t in the mood for class. Nobody was. I remember being glued to the TV news programs. They went on for a week, maybe longer. Who ever would have dreamed of such evil living in the world. Men wanting to kill Americans, so they hijack planes and fly them through our tallest buildings..symbols of our prosperity. They succeeded at murder, and destruction. Our spirits, as well as our economy were not as easily toppled. Americans were more united that day, than in a long, long time. People of different religious, political, racial, and social backgrounds were showing love and concern for their fellow human beings. I think it is sad that it takes tragedy to bring love out in people. Many heroes gave their lives that day and they deserve to be remembered. I didn't know anybody personally, but they all had families who loved them and were devastated by the loss.
The world is different now, at least, I think I am. I don't take my freedom for granted anymore. I am no longer complacent about safety. Before it happened, I never gave plane hijacking a thought. I used to love to fly. It doesn't really excite me anymore. It's just a lot more trouble. However, if I did find myself in an airport, I don't think I would complain about the scrutiny.It is for my own good.
The consequences of that day are still being lived out. We are at war with these terrorists. I believe that was the right decision. Nobody likes war. Of course it is unpleasant, but we cannot just let people with radical religious beliefs just take over the world and kill anyone who does not share their belief. You cannot reason with people who are unreasonable. I say fight, fight, fight. God Bless America!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home