Much Ado About Nothing

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Bad Spelling Not Allowed
I saw something on Fox News this morning which really bothered me. Believe it or not, it's not regarding politics, or the war. There is an actual society, called the Simplified Spelling Society, which advocates bad spelling. They believe that there are too many confusing rules in the English language, and we should change the spelling of words to a more phonetically correct way of spelling ( spell it how it sounds) For example, people, would be spelled, peeple. (Isn't that the plural for those little marshmallow candies they sell at Easter??) They think it would help to decrease illiteracy. I think if more parents read to their children at a young age, and paid more attention to their education, there wouldn't be so many kids unable to read and write. Being able to read and write, is the basis of everything else you will do in life. Therefore, to me, it should be the most important part of a child's learning career. Learning the rules of spelling, is not that difficult.
Correct spelling is very important to me. It came easily for me in school, with very little study. I just knew how to spell things after seeing them once or twice. I wish the rest of my academic career had been as easy as spelling was for me. I do believe that good spelling is very important. It leaves a good first impression, at least with me. ( I met my husband on the internet, and one of the first reasons I knew he was a keeper, is because he could spell!!)
I am irked by seeing signs and other public displays with spelling errors. One particular pet peeve is when people insist on using the apostrophe to end a plural word. (Ie. dog's , book's, etc ) You get the idea. My skin crawled just using the example on my own blog. I was in a local grocery store recently, and there was a sign over the meat saying "Oop's we cut too much" Regardless of the discount, it made me not want any of the meat. I just walked away and snickered.
Anyway, I feel organizations such as this will only dumb down society. What's next, 2+2=5? Math is too hard, let's change the rules. Our engineers would build unsafe structures, our checkbooks would never be even close to balanced, and we would be bouncing checks right and left. Spelling is also important to being taken seriously, and competing in a global market. I only wish I could find a way to get rich using my spelling abilities. Spelling, and retaining useless information are my best talents. I haven't found a way to market either, unfortunately. Any suggestions?
Here's the link if you're interested. http://www.spellingsociety.org/news/pyoneers/py4pt2.php

1 Comments:

  • I read an article in the paper about this. I thought it was kind of silly, but it made me think about it, like you did.

    I am one of those people that doesn't know all the rules. I have a hard time remembering not to end a sentence in a preposition. I still can't seem to remember if it "Perfer or prefer."

    Like you said, the rules aren't that complicated. They are not, but they are more complicated to me than to you. Math always came easier to me than english. I guess that was because with math it HAS to make sense. Math is logical. Language isn't.

    I don't think we should spell everything the way it sounds. I think parents should be more involved in educating their kids. That would be ideal. But there is a big part of our population that just isn't capable of such things. What you and I view as the minimum standard is a stretch to them. Both of my parents we social workers when I was a kid. I use to go with my mom when she had to visit families. Abuse, poverty, hunger, malnutrition, divorce, and any other type of instablity causes kids to focus on just trying to physically/mentally/emotionally survive. These kids grow up without getting much from their time in school and have kids who follow the same path.

    The solution is not to simplifiy grammer. It is to help people get to a place where they can succeed. Head start is great. Literacy programs are great.

    Like I said, I don't think wee shud spel evritheeng lik it sonds. Why? Becaz thre wud stil bee new rulez fur evribodi to lurn. If yu spel thingz fonicly it wud deepind on howe the wurd sondz to eech purson. Wee wud need rulz fur whin to uze a "z" or en "s".

    Maybe you could make some money by having a website helps people who can't spell. I would visit it all the time! You could call it www.spelingqwestsunsansured.kom!!!!!!!!!!!

    When are you going to get your real estate license? That is where you can make some money. You could market to the gramatically challenged. It is a huge market.


    john

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home