Much Ado About Nothing

Monday, June 05, 2006

Shopping Etiquette

For most of my adult life I have worked in the retail industry, and have a lot to say on the subject of customer behavior. Shopping seems as simple as going into a store, picking up what you need, paying for it, and going on your merry way. Apparently that is not the case. I am surprised how people try to get something for nothing, the methods of stealing, and downright rudeness people exhibit on a daily basis. The following is a list of rule on being a polite customer, not in any particular order of importance, just as they come to me.

Rule #1 READ YOUR COUPONS!!! This is a problem which has been coming up a lot lately. Coupons are a great tool to save some money. I use them too. However, there are always conditons listed on the coupon, such as expiration date, and the size/variety of the product. Recently a customer handed me a coupon for $4 off a razor. That's a great coupon to have. The razor shown on the coupon retails around $10. The razor the customer was trying to purchase with the coupon only cost $3.88. Now, I know I was never very good at math, but isn't $4 greater than $3.88? Does it seem likely that a store, or a manufacturer will give you more of a discount, than the product cost in the first place? I don't think so. They are in the business to make money, not give it away. No doubt, there are exceptions to the rule, but with a simple perusal of the coupon, I could tell the difference. The customer either didn't read very well, or wanted a free razor.

Rule #2 DO UNTO OTHERS!!! This should be a simple life rule that everyone abides by, regardless of race, creed, religon, etc. It really is not necessary to be nasty to cashiers and store clerks because of some inconvenience to you. The peon with whom you are dealing did not make the policy and probably is aware of its stupidity, but is unable to do anything about the situation. Often these policies are made by people with business degrees who have never worked in store a day in their lives, and are only looking at the bottom line...not the convenience of the customers, or employees. Allow me to explain. For the last 3 consecutive weekends, the store where I work has run out of CIGARETTES! I (and my fellow cashiers) have dealt with more verbal abuse than anyone should have to endure, from a bunch of irate smokers going through nicotine withdrawal. The store recently switched to a computer ordering system, and we simply are not getting enough to sustain us between shipments. So much for letting people do the work. A delivery arrives early in the week, and the most popular brands are gone by Thursday evening. To be completely honest, I have very little sympathy for these people, because smoking is a nasty, filthy habit. However, I am ready to have my apology/explanation tattooed on my forehead, because I am tired of hearing the complaints. It was not my fault, and there is nothing ,whatsoever, that I can do to remedy the situation. I cannot wave a magic wand and make a carton of Marlboro lights appear. If I had such a magic wand, I would use it to make mean people disappear.

If you find yourself inconveninced in a way such as this, ask to speak to a manager, or just purchase whatever product it is, elsewhere. Don't yell at the cashier, and ruin his or her whole day, for something over which they have no control. How would you like it if someone came into your work place and told you how to do your job, but really had no way of knowing anything about it?

Rule #3 PUT IT BACK WHERE YOU FOUND IT!! This goes hand in hand with Rule #2. If you change your mind about a product, please don't just leave it anywhere in store. Give it to a clerk, or cashier and it will be put away in its correct place. If you are shopping in a store that is not open 24/7, employees have to stay extra late after closing to put these items back where they belong. Many hours are spent picking up after customers. Yes, it is part of their job, but doesn't everyone want to go home in a timely manner at the end of the workday? Also, shopping carts go back to the door. People have a tendency to leave them at the cash register if they are able to carry their bags out in their hands. You have to exit through the door anyway, is it that hard to leave the shopping cart, or basket back where you found it?


Well, I hope no one thinks I am preaching at them. I really just needed to vent. Working with the public is an eye opening experience to say the least. There are other rules I may write about on a later date, but this is a good start. I could probably write a book on the subject. Thanks for letting me blow off some steam!

1 Comments:

  • It seems like so few people have any concept of good manners or common courtesy. You see this all the time, not just in customer interactions, but also on TV in so-called political "discussions."

    I wonder if part of the smokers' problem isn't nicotine withdrawal though! ;)

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home