Much Ado About Nothing

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Hello! Welcome to my blog. As you can tell from the title, mine is a blog about nothing. I figured if Seinfeld can have a TV show about nothing, then my blog can be about nothing in particular. I like to write, and this will give me the medium to do so. The topics will vary depending on what is on my mind. It could be simply what’s happening in my life at the moment, book,movie reviews or television reviews , or even occasionally something of a political or spiritual nature. For my first post, I am responding to my sister-in-law Rebecca’s challenge of earlier in the week to write 10 things about the letter S. http://riebecca.blogspot.com/2006/05/g-is-for.html If you would like to play, post a comment and I will assign you a letter. You can write about them in the comments.


“S” is for….



1. Spouse -- My husband John. He is the sweetest man I know, and I am undeserving. He is the most important person in my life, so he is first on my list.

2. Scott --one of the 2 best brothers in the whole world. (Dan is the other best brother, but I was assigned the letter S.) Scott used to really bug me when we were growing up, but now I am very proud to be his older sister. He is becoming a father for the first time this year, of which I am especially proud.

3. Sister in law-- Growing up, I prayed for a sister. God answers prayers in funny ways;He gave me two brothers instead. I now know His answer was “later” because when my brothers and I got married, I received the gift of 4 sisters (by marriage). I appreciate all of them for their different talents, and for accepting me like they have. I hope, over the years, to continue to develop “sisterly” friendships with all of them.

4. Sudoku-- a hobby I learned from my sister in law, Rebecca. It’s ironic that I enjoy it as much as I do because I really have never been very good at math. I took every math class in college twice. But I realized with sudoku, I am not calculating numbers, I am arranging them, which I seem to enjoy.

5.Star Wars -- A movie I never really knew much about before I was married. Now I am married to a “Star Wars geek” who owns not one, but several copies of each movie.
6. Suspense -- I am particularly interested in the suspense I get from my favorite TV program, “24”. Each Monday, I count the hours until I sit on the edge of my seat to see what crazy stunts Jack Bauer will do to keep this country safe. Jack Bauer is my hero!

7. Subway – the name of my favorite fast food. I never seem to get tired of sandwiches from Subway.

8. Spring -- One of my favorite seasons. The weather is warm, but not too hot. Flowers are in bloom. And……. ( This leads me to another favorite “s” word)

9. Sandals -- I love sandals, partly because I hate socks. I can’t seem to keep them from getting lost in the laundry. Also, I got the most comfy pair of sandals ever this year. I wear them all the time.

10. South --- where I now live. I was born and raised in northern Illinois. The people in the south are so friendly; however, I am sometimes surprised at their way of speaking. For instance, many of them insist on pronouncing the “S” on the end of my home state. Since I am writing about “S”, I will end with one I dislike…the one on the end of Illinois.

5 Comments:

  • Welcome to blog life, sister-in law. If you want to feel free to assign me a letter :P

    We too have noticed the "s" at the end of Illinois. Interestingly enough, I've also noticed another sound after the "s" in Illinois that some here in Tennessee espress:

    I-LIH-NOIZE-UH

    weird, eh?

    By Blogger Captain Fatbody, at 12:09 PM  

  • Ok Captain Fatbody (I love that name by the way), you get the letter F.

    By Blogger Ginger, at 12:33 PM  

  • Very good! I'm surprised and touched by your ability to express yourself so well. You and I have at least one thing in common..our dislike of bad grammar and incorrect spelling, so I hope I don't make any mistakes here for all the world to see. I've already made several that I have corrected. It's my typing more than spelling and grammar. Anyway, keep up the good work. I'll be checking back to see what's on your mind. Can I sign this, LOVE, MOM?!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:36 PM  

  • I am glad to have influenced you both to start a blog and to start doing Sudoku. Sudoku is a type of math, just not the arithmetic type. Really it's a logic puzzle, so I think you would probably be really good at computer science theory.

    And yeah, what is it with pronouncing the "s" on the end of Illinois?!?!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 8:55 PM  

  • Ok, letter F.

    Ten things....

    1) FAT. Without my body fat, I'd be both vulnerable to terrorist attack AND freeze to death in the winter. Wow i'm so lucky!

    2) FAMILY. People who you can depend on are few and far between. Most people aren't worth the oxygen they waste, but much can be said for family that care about you.

    3) FACTS. Just the facts, ma'am. When trying to prove something, use truth and facts.

    4) FIRE. Without fire, where would we be? Think about it.

    5) FIDDLE. Music played by fiddle can be the most uplifting happy music you will ever hear. I recommend Natalie MacMaster.

    6) FLAPJACKS. Yuuuuuum.

    7) FOXHOLE. What better way to hide from someone lobbing grenades and bullets your way?

    8) FEAR. Without fear, we would never know safety.

    9) FISSION. The process of splitting the atom can release great amounts of energy.

    10) FUSION. Combining elements into heavier elements has even greater potential for releasing great amounts of energy.. so great, in fact, that our energy problems for hundreds of years could be solved by one sustainable reaction.

    By Blogger Captain Fatbody, at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home