4th of July
Next Tuesday is a very important holiday. It is the birthday of our great nation, which I believe is the greatest nation on the face of the earth. It is probably my favorite holiday of the year. Most of my Independence Days have been spent in my hometown of Kirkland, IL. I have missed a few in my adult life, but I try to get back whenever I can. Kirkland is a small town, with a population of approximately 1000 people. It's pretty quiet and laid back, and really has no claim to fame, unless you are a baseball fan. A former White Sox manager is from Kirkland. Anyway, the best time to be in Kirkland is on July 4th. There is a parade, a carnival, and fireworks. Friends and family stop by to say hello. The carnival usually begins a few days before the 4th, but lately has lost its appeal. When I was a kid, I used to like to go ride the carnival rides. Now they make me sick, and really aren't much fun. I still enjoy going home for the festivities. My parents' house is right on the main drag of Kirkland, which is a prime location to view the parade. It is also a good location to view the end of the day traffic jam. ( I know what you are thinking..that is a really dumb thing to get excited about) It only happens once a year in Kirkland, a town with no traffic lights, so it really is a sight! I am always thankful to not be driving, or rather, sitting in that traffic jam.
The parade consists of what you would expect to see in a parade; marching bands, floats, fire trucks, and vintage cars. This parade also has something no other parade has..my dad. My dad drives a go cart, advertising the local gas station/mini mart. He supposedly got the job because he is the only adult small enough to fit in it. Being friends with the owner didn't hurt either, I suppose. Anyway that has become tradition, and he really has a lot of fun with it. I didn't tell you 4th of July is special for another reason. My dad's birthday. Wouldn't you like to have a parade thrown in honor of your birthday?
If you're interested here's a link to see all the scheduled activites. http://www.kirkland4thofjuly.com/
Here is my favorite photo from 2005. http://www.detainedrock.com/4th/images/k4oj_resize-081.jpg

1 Comments:
I am glad that somebody likes the 4th for a reason other than it being an extra day off work and an opportunity to get drunk. I would go on and on, but this is YOUR blog, not mine.
Tell your dad I said hello, if he rmemebers me.
BTW, Kirkland sounds like one of those warm communities that is nice to live in. Right now, it is really 74 degrees there, but it feels like 77 due to the humidity, that's how warm of a place it is. My other sis-in-law MAY be the only person other than me to laugh at that....sorry!
By
Anonymous, at 10:18 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home