Proud to be a Christian
I am really sick and tired of the news media, and the world around me ,portraying Christianity as something to be ashamed of. Recently, pop singer Elton John made the comment that all religion should be banned because it breeds hate. Christianity is the antithesis of hatred. I try to live my life by a set of moral standards I find in the Bible, which does not include hating anyone. I do not approve of his lifestyle, but I would wish him no harm.
I suppose I understand how many religious people got the reputation of being "hate mongers". God said to go into all the world and preach the gospel. There is a right, and a wrong way to do that. Many people are turned off by people who automatically want to condemn everyone else to hell. I don't blame them. I don't like hearing about things I do wrong. The other day at work, a man walked in one door of walmart, holding a sign over his head which read, "Jesus is coming soon, are you ready"? While I agree with the sentiment, I think the approach is wrong. I believe in teaching through my conduct. I would be ready to study, and share my beliefs with anyone who asked, but going around talking about it all the time, just turns people off.
Galatians 3:27 says: For as many of you were baptized into Christ, have put on Christ. I think of "putting on Christ" as "putting on clothes". If I dress myself, and my life, with Christ others will see it, and want the peace for themselves. Always telling people that they need God in their lives is going to turn them further away from Him, not bring them closer.

1 Comments:
Ginger, I totally agree with you. One of the things that makes me feel so comfortable with you and John is that you're not making a big deal out of our religious differences. People who push their religion on you are a big turn-off, even to people who already believe!
By
Rebecca, at 11:52 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home