Much Ado About Nothing

Friday, April 06, 2007

Some Easter Thoughts

This weekend is a holiday which holds many traditions. The primary reason for the holiday is the remembrance of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I am a follower of Christ, but I question the need for this holiday. There are a couple of reasons for this.

First of all, the Bible tells us to remember Christ's sacrifice every first day of the week (Sunday) during worship, and observance of the Lord's Supper. I will add that we should remember this every day by living our lives according his example. Many so called followers of Christ take time out of their busy lives only to attend services on Easter and Christmas. I wonder, what is the point in that?

Secondly, Easter and Christmas have become reasons for people to spend money they really don't have, on things they really don't need. I am guilty of it too. I love Christmas. The music, decorations and other traditions are a lot of fun and make for some good family memories. However, I do not observe it as a religious holiday. I don't believe that Christ was born on December 25. Nor do I find a command in the Bible to observe His birthday as a holiday. I don't think Christ would want His name on something that has turned people to greed and wrath. (Not finding a Cabbage Patch Doll for your child, then going ballistic) This isn't what Christ would want. Christ's birth was certainly miraculous; but it's his death and resurrection that are important..which brings us back to Easter. I have no problem with candy, decorations, and other Easter traditions, but it bothers me that people take this time to remember Christ, and by Monday they will have forgotten Him, and not give Him another thought until December 25. If you believe in him, act like it every day, not just twice during the year.

2 Comments:

  • I can only nod in agreement with this argument. To me it is the same as how I feel for Valentine's Day. I believe every day should be Valentines Day. I guess that's part of the reason why i'm still married after almost 10 years.

    By Blogger Captain Fatbody, at 11:47 PM  

  • Happy Easter!

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home